The following seven steps may help you and your family be better prepared when an earthquake strikes. They are arranged in the order of measures to take before, during and after an earthquake.
- Step 1 Identify potential hazards in your home and begin to fix them
- Step 2 Create your disaster plan
- Step 3 Create your disaster supply kits
- Step 4 Identify your home’s potential weaknesses and begin to fix them
- Step 5 During earthquakes and aftershocks: Drop, cover and hold on
- Step 6 After the shaking stops, check for damage and injuries needing immediate attention
- Step 7 When safe, follow your disaster plan